DevOps is the one of the most important and impactful computing topics to have been developed since the creation of the modern cloud. From Configuration Management to Containerization, your career and your company need to move quickly, but without stress, into this new world
This course is designed to accelerate you from zero to hero into the world of DevOps from the perspective of using Chef Configuration Management. Through this three-day command-line driven adventure, you will develop a solid foundation for managing dozens, hundreds or even thousands of servers the way Facebook, Target, Nordstrom, and many other successful companies do – by using Chef. And because so many companies have both Windows and Linux servers in their environments, we teach you the technical intricacies of managing and integrating both platforms.
Audience and prerequisites
This course is intended to those who wants to begin at DevOps specialization.
It's best that students of this class have some familiarity and comfort with the following:
- Writing code -of just about any flavor- in a text editor.
- Working on the command line.
- Basic system administration: installing packages, configuring those packages, starting a service.
By the end of this course, the student will have assumed the following skills:
- Understand the DevOps Method.
- Apply DevOps method using Chef tools.
- Reduce time between every cycle.
- What is DevOps – A brief introduction
- Using Chef resources – The building blocks
- Building Chef recipes and cookbooks
- Collecting details about the system via Ohai
- Attributes – Writing dynamic code
- Managing data with templates
- Advanced templating – Passing in variables
- Storing your code in a repo - An introduction to Git
- Workstation setup
- Centralizing management with Chef Server
- Using Community Cookbooks
- Automating chef-client runs
- Managing a multi-node infrastructure
- Simplification and scalability through Roles
- Power automation – Invoking Chef Search
- Staging versus Production - Environments
- Using Databags to create user accounts on servers